Here are two model texts that you can use for back translation (improving your writing without a teacher - see the post here).
The first one is suitable for elementary - pre-intermediate students, while the second is suitable for intermediate - upper-intermediate students.
Reminder of the Method
- Choose an English text.
- Translate it into your language.
- Translate your version back into English, without looking at the original.
- Compare your English text with the original. Highlight or underline each difference.
- Reflect on your mistakes (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!) Ask yourself:
* What grammar mistakes did I make?
* What spelling mistakes did I make?
* What word choice mistakes did I make?
* What paragraph and punctuation mistakes did I make?
* Which phrases were the most difficult to translate into my language, or into English?
* Which phrases are the most different between English and my language?
* What do I want to improve next time I write something in English?
6. Practice the areas you have difficulty with.
You can see the full instructions here.
1. Elementary - Pre-intermediate
2. Intermediate - Upper Intermediate